FAQ: 2022 UN Ocean Conference Youth and Innovation Forum
The Forum will take place at the Nova School of Business & Economics in Cascais, Portugal from June 24-26, 2022.
Address: Carcavelos Campus, Rua da Holanda, no. 1, 2775-405 Carcavelos, Portugal
Applicants must be ages 18-35 to be eligible to participate. The Forum prioritizes acceptance and funding for nominees from Developing Countries and Middle-Income Countries.
First, please use this document to verify your country of origin.
Once you familiarize yourself with the process, please take care to note the time it will to apply for your visa: some can take over 8 weeks to process.
The organizers recommend applying before the results of the application process to attend the Youth Forum have been announced to ensure appropriate and timely travel documentation.
Depending on the country of origin of the participants, there may be flight restrictions and COVID tests arriving or departing from Lisbon may be required, please check your local requirements
Please check this website for the most up-to-date information.
It’s mandatory to wear a face mask while on public transportation, in rideshares, pharmacies, hospitals and health centers in Portugal.
If you have symptoms of Covid-19, take an antigen test from of the following pharmacies:
Testing Locations near Nova Business School
Farmácia São Gonçalo
7 minutes walking: https://goo.gl/maps/KjDReJbGwKSbTvYw5
Phone Number: +351 214579817
Farmácia Tanara Oeiras
11 minutes walking (900 meters): https://goo.gl/maps/EvHFt6qhnV8r66tf6
Phone Number: +351 214431355
For Portuguese participants ONLY: If the test is positive, call the SNS 24 at 808 242 424 and follow the instructions.
No: please note that accessing the Youth and Innovation Forum does not entitle access to the UN Ocean Conference itself.
Participants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Background & Industry: the extent to which the nominee’s area of focus professionally, academically, or in his/her civic engagement is relevant to the SDG14 targets
- Vision: the extent to which the nominee’s current work aligns with the goals and values of the youth forum
- Ocean Impact: this refers to the amount of impact the applicant's current and previous work has had on an area of the ocean sector. This will be evaluated in terms of number of people reached, geographic area covered, scale of operations, impact on legislation etc.
- Scalability: Can the nominee’s work be scaled to new audiences, geographies, or sectors?
- Leadership: the applicant must demonstrate examples of leadership through projects or initiatives and/or attendance at other major events and forums.
The process of reviewing applications will start on April 6th and continue on a rolling basis until May 6th.
In preparation for an intensive program, the organizers will schedule an online information session in early June. The session will discuss:
- Logistical aspects
- The political process of the UN Ocean Conference, the eight interactive dialogues and the respective working meetings during the Forum
- The 5 Innovathon challenges: Green Shipping, Ocean Renewable Energy, Sustainable Seafood, Marine Pollution and Ocean Data
- The SDG Media Zone
Attendance is mandatory. Details will be provided at a later stage.
Portugal, through Movijovem/Portuguese Youth Hostels, has generously offered to cover each participant's accommodation in Youth Hostels, in Lisbon, from June 24 (check-in) to June 27 (check-out).
Please note: If you are arriving early on the 23rd the conference organizers will send you additional information about your accommodation for that evening.
Most rooms are shared bedrooms with multiple beds. Breakfast is included.
We are also looking at offering a few single rooms available on request and are prioritizing participants with special needs.
The forum organizers are currently fundraising for this purpose and aim to cover travel expenses for most, if not all participants. More details will soon be available.
Participants from least developed countries will be prioritized for flight cost coverage.
If you require a visa to travel to Portugal, we will be able to provide a visa letter. However, we will not cover costs.
Yes, meals and snacks are included.
Please bring a notepad, a pen, (if needed) your laptop, business cards (if you have), summer clothes, passion and enthusiasm!
Please also note: the hostels will not provide any toiletries. Please bring your own soaps, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, towel(s) and any accessories you may need.
Business casual/cocktail attire on Friday and smart casual on Saturday and Sunday. There are showers on campus you will have access to in case you’d like to use them when not at your lodging. You will receive an event t-shirt.
You may wear traditional business attire worn in your country of origin (i.e. Indian koti, Nigerian Agbada, etc.).
Please find the latest updates here: https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal
For other queries, contact us at UNOC@soalliance.org.